The songwriting competition is back for 2022! It’s open to all, amateur or professional, in any musical style that can be performed acoustically. Winning songs will be performed on the open stage in The Basin Triangle on Sunday 20 March. If you have the songwriting talent, but not the voice to do it justice, it is not necessary to perform the song yourself to win. There is an entry form and a fee for each song you submit.
The judging panel shall be as nominated by The Basin Music Festival Committee. The judges’ decision will be final and no correspondence will be entered into.
For Best Song (Open) – a Sachar Amos handmade acoustic guitar for the winner of the songwriting contest at The Basin Music Festival.
For Best Youth Song (Under 18 yrs at 8 March 2022) $300 cash.
Prizes will be awarded at the sole discretion of the judges in two categories, Open and Youth (under 18 years old)
Entry fee - $20.00 per song
Closing date - 8 March 2022
"The Basin Music Festival Songwriting Competition" will be referred to as the "Competition"
- Songwriters under 18 years of age at the time of the festival may enter songs into either the Youth or Open categories. All other songwriters will have their songs entered into the Open category.
- Recordings of songs are to be presented for the competition on CD or USB stick, or upload your mp3 with the competition entry form (link at the bottom of this page).
- It can be a (decent) live recording of your band, a studio recording you already made, or guitar and vocals recorded on your phone. The emphasis of the competition is the songwriting, not the musical arrangement or production value. Don't hire studio time just for this competition.
- Songs should be suitable for performing acoustically, i.e. vocals with simple accompaniment (electronic instruments that emulate acoustic instruments, such as keyboards, are acceptable). This does not mean the song you record and submit must be performed acoustically.
- Songwriters may submit more than one entry—a separate entry form and fee are required for each song—but only one category can be won by any entrant.
- Members of The Basin Music Festival Association committee (TBMF committee) are not eligible to enter the Competition.
- Submitted physical media (containing music and text of lyrics) will become the property of The Basin Music Festival Association. Rights and ownership of the content remain with the author(s) according to "The Fine Print" below.
- The entrant(s) must be the original author(s) of the submitted song.
- Recordings and lyrics will be numbered before being submitted to judges so that, where possible, judges should be unaware of their authorship.
- An entrant may only have one song selected by the judges into the final competition at the festival. However if a song is a collaborative composition, the collaborating group shall be regarded as a separate, single entrant. Therefore a songwriter may have an individual composition and a collaboration each selected into the final competition.
- Entrants with songs selected in the final competition will be invited to arrange for performance of their song at the festival. The performer(s) need not be the songwriter.
The Fine Print
The contestant(s) and performer(s) agree to allow the Competition organisers, and/or The Basin Music Festival Association, the right to use the entry recording, or a recording of the song during its performance at the festival, to promote The Basin Music Festival, without the need for payment of any kind. Apart from the use listed above, all rights for the song remain with the song’s author(s).
By entering the Competition, you agree to the conditions herein and make this statement:
The song I have submitted is my (“our” in the case of a collaboration) own original composition, and the song meets all the criteria listed above to be eligible for entry in The Basin Music Festival Songwriting Competition.